Hobbies, Sports, Interests and Pastimes Whats Yours?
What are your Hobbies and Interests?
A hobby is described as an activity or interest pursued outside
one’s regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.
Since early childhood we have had a daily routine, both at school and then at work. Therefore, in order to keep a balance between busy moments and free time we take up a favourite pastime.
These are practiced for interest and enjoyment, rather than financial reward however these days many people are turning their favourite pastime into a money making small business. Engaging in a favourite pastime can lead to acquiring substantial skill, knowledge, and experience. However, personal fulfillment is the normal aim. Life would be very boring without them; they give us interest, relaxation, skills, recreation and pleasure, and give sense to our existence and give us a more fulfilled life
We could talk about a long list of pastimes and interests,but these lists are different, depending on factors like age, sex, region, family background, education or personality.
You can make a hobby out of the most insignificant thing, with a little imagination; the type will depend on your age, sex, abilities and so on.
For example, young children’s may be:
- Playing computer games
- Watching cartoons
- Taking up different sports: football, handball, basketball, gymnastics, volleyball
- Playing a musical instrument: piano, guitar
- Looking after a pet: cat, dog, hamster, fish, parrot
- Bird watching,
- Horse riding
- Collecting things: stamps, badges, postcards, pens
These pastimes can be taken up by both boys and girls. Teenagers change their hobbies or add new pastimes as they get older.
- Music, dancing, disco: they have usually a model in life from showbiz or a celebrity and they collect everything about them.
- Sport, even extreme sports. Those can be divided into indoor sports and out door sports.
- Fitness, especially those girls or women who are afraid of putting on weight
- Cars and motor cycles – not just the driving but gaining detailed knowledge about their parts, different specifications of different models, their functions etc.
- Computers, not necessarily games: they are interested in chatting with friends, sometimes with friends from other countries made on the internet
- Movies, actors and actresses
- Making stained glass windows and objects
The most courageous ones may take up extreme sports like:
- bungee jumping
- Hang gliding
- Hot air ballooning
Women and girls will be interested in the following:
- Astrology, yoga, magic
- Child care
- Natural remedies
Those taken up by men, in general are:
- Football, golf or any other sport,
- Riding motorbikes
- Mountain climbing
- Playing cards
- Playing chess or backgammon,
Now, take a look through the following pages and see if anything takes your fancy – or something might trigger another inspiration
We have grouped some examples under various headings, not just those shown above, to help you think about what you might do and how you might use them.
If you have a particular hobby or interest especially something unusual why not e-mail us and we will include it on this web site with our acknowledgement to you.
Return from hobbies and interests to Open-Mind-Publishing Home Page